Shaman Meaning: What Is Shamanism? [Simple Explanation]
What is a shaman and what are different aspects of shamanism? Read on for an explanation of these terms…
What is a shaman?
A shaman is a priest (es) who is also engaged in healing people using the power of nature. A shaman makes use of trance, ceremonies and rituals, among other things.
The term ‘medicine man’ is therefore related to the term ‘shaman’. It literally means: he or she who knows.
What is Shamanism?
Shamanism is an old healing tradition. It is also a way of life. Shamanism is a method of feeling connection with nature and all other creatures.
The word ‘shaman’ originates from the Tungus tribe in Siberia. This term was coined by anthropologists to refer to spiritual and ceremonial leaders in various indigenous cultures around the world.
Shamanism could be seen as the universal spiritual wisdom inherent in all native tribes.
You can also use the word ‘shamanism’ to refer to the ancient spiritual practices of these indigenous cultures. The word has a constant generalization . This is due to the similarities between the different ancient traditions.
In recent decades, the term “shamanism” has become popular in the Western world, especially in New Age circles.
Aspects of Shamanism
- Connection with nature. Shamanic practices harness the power Mother Earth has to offer, and the ancient indigenous wisdoms are derived from the simple truths of nature.
- Healing and help for each other. Shamanism is not only concerned with the health of the individual, but also the health of the entire community. This includes all people, plants, animals and all of life.
- Spiritual practice. The purpose of shamanism is to create internal and external harmony with all of creation.
- Pilgrimage to holy places. Learning to connect with sacred places is an intrinsic part of shamanism. By honoring natural wonders such as rivers, lakes, mountains and caves, we wake up and energize the land.
- Vision & ceremony. Ceremonies in honor of the souls of nature help promote harmony and balance. The path of shamanism never ends. It is believed that as long as these ceremonies continue, the world continues.
On your luck!